Human Resources - Executive Director
Date posted: 2012-11-19
Opportunity Profile: Executive Director, Human Resources
ABOUT CAMOSUN COLLEGE
Camosun College is a leading and innovative post-secondary institution with a commitment to inspiring lives through life-changing learning. It has an exciting strategic plan for the 2011-14 period and is actively engaged in delivering on the plan goals.
Camosun College is located in beautiful Victoria, BC. Their two campuses serve approximately 20,000 learners a year in certificate, diploma, Bachelor degree and continuing education programs.
Each year, Camosun welcomes over 1,000 Aboriginal students from 50 Nations including Métis and Inuit groups, and over 550 International students from 40 different countries.
The College welcomed its first students in 1971 and adopted the name "Camosun," a local Lekwungen (Songhees) First Nation name meaning "where different waters meet and are transformed." Today, Camosun College offers over 160 innovative programs to help meet the needs of students and communities in Victoria and beyond. Their education offerings include university transfer and applied degree programs; career and trades training; upgrading and preparatory programs; and continuing education.
- 20,000 learners annually; 1,000 Aboriginal students from over 50 nations
- 550 International students from more than 40 countries
- 160+ certificate, diploma and Bachelor degree programs
- 1,000 employees; three bargaining units
- $100 million annual budget; $816 million economic impact per year
- 94% of recent graduates satisfied/very satisfied with their education
- 87% of graduates live and work in our region; 97% of graduates live and work in BC
To learn more, visit: http://www.camosun.ca
THE OPPORTUNITY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES
Reporting to the Vice President, Administration, the Executive Director of Human Resources has an important strategic role in building and implementing human resource initiatives that impact positively on overall college performance. This includes the delivery of HR services and programs to the full college community, and the development of a proactive labour relations strategy that maintains positive relationships with the bargaining units and assists managers in successfully fulfilling their roles.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, Human Resources are:
- Executive Assistant
- Manager, Employee Relations
- Manager, Labour Relations
- HR Systems/Operations Manager
- HR Consultants (2)
- HR Generalist
- Student Ombudsman
Duties & Primary Responsibilities
The Executive Director, Human Resources will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Provide leadership in the creation of an HR strategic plan that is consistent with and enables Camosun's overall strategic plan;
- Provide overall direction and supervision to the HR department, including employee recruitment and selection, job evaluation, organizational development, employee health administration, performance appraisals, employee recognition, etc.;
- Develop HR policies and processes in a manner that drives efficiency and cost savings;
- Develop and communicate proactive labour relations strategies that are collaborative and create a productive relationship between the college and all employee groups;
- Develop and maintain effective training and communications processes that will ensure all managers have the knowledge they need to effectively manage the employees under their supervision;
- Develop and maintain the annual budget for the department
- Participate as a member on a variety of standing and ad hoc committees, including exempt and joint labour/management committees;
- Chair collective bargaining processes, and participate as a member of the Camosun's bargaining team; provide the necessary information for these processes;
- Advise employees and management on the interpretation of collective agreements, college policies, applicable legislation and labour practices;
- Represent Camosun in liaison with the Ministry of Advanced Education, Innovation and Technology and other institutions on various issues related to Human Resources;
- Represent Camosun with agencies such as the Human Rights Commission, Workers' Compensation Board, Employment Standards Branch, Labour Relations Board, etc.; and
- Advise the College Board on significant HR matters.
Additionally, the Executive Director, Human Resources will be responsible for the following:
- Assuming the duties of the Vice President, Administration as and when required;
- Assuming any duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Vice President;
- Attending Camosun College Board of Governors and Board Committee meetings as required; and
- Overseeing the Office of the Ombudsman.
Education, Experience, and Skills
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A post-secondary degree in a related discipline;
- Five to ten years experience in a senior leadership role in Human Resources;
- Excellent consensus building and leadership skills;
- Strong labour relations and bargaining experience in a large-scale, complex setting;
- The ability to maintain positive relationships across diverse stakeholder communities;
- A team-focused management style;
- A demonstrated track record in the effective management of people and budgets; and
- A strategic program delivery approach.
Communication Skills - Possess strong communication skills, both verbal, and written and expresses thoughts in an organized, concise manner. Actively listens to the issues of others in a manner that elicits cooperation and support. Has the ability to present information and ideas to diverse groups and to relate fairly and equitably to what may be competing demands.
Professional, Team Player - Has an honest, open, and consistent approach to working with others and possesses strong relationship and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships and develop/maintain partnerships, obtaining stakeholder agreement.
Committed to Personal Excellence - Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in his/her field and is committed to continuous learning; one that is self?motivated and self?directed, being able to work independently with sense of urgency to task completion.
Pragmatic Decision-Maker - Recognizes and integrates priorities and changes in business approach. Shows common sense and intuitive judgment abilities and makes sound decisions.
Organizationally Astute - Is diplomatic and tactful; non-confrontational; recognizes internal and external sensitivities; has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions; uses sound judgment.
Administrative Skills - Provides leadership to and ensures accountability for achievement for results; very focused; strong organizational skills; simplifies often complex and lengthy matters; effective time management skills; ability to separate important issues and identify priorities.
Energetic & Adaptable - Is prepared to take on longer-term initiatives with enthusiasm; ability to adapt to new and changing situations; able to alter course/direction when necessary; enjoys and embraces new challenges. Flexible; able to deal with stress effectively.
Analytical Skills - Consults appropriately, thoroughly collects data, and analyzes problem in context of organizational goals; uses sound judgment, builds consensus, makes independent decisions appropriately; implements solutions or resolutions appropriately.
Integrity - Demonstrates a resolute commitment to the spirit and intent behind the rules and core values of the organization, setting an example of professionalism and ethical propriety.
Strategic - Demonstrates an understanding of the link between one's job responsibilities and overall organizational goals and needs, and performs one's job with the broader goals in mind. Develops and implements a functional plan in support of organizational strategic direction.
A competitive compensation package will be provided to the chosen candidate.
For further information you may contact:
Warren Psutka, Jen Curdie or Tony Kirschner
Davies Park Vancouver
#900 - 510 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3A8
Ph: (604) 688-8422
Fax: (604) 688-8427
Additional information can be found at: http://www.daviespark.com & http://www.camosun.ca