Medicine and Dentistry - Director of Education
University of Manitoba
Date posted: 2012-11-27
Director of Education
The University of Manitoba Division of Continuing Professional Development (CPD), Faculties of Medicine and Dentistry, invites applications for Director of Education. This is a full-time, three-year term position with the possibility of further renewal. This is a joint position within the Faculties of Medicine and Dentistry with duties and responsibilities related to specific and collaborative projects in both Faculties.
Position: Director of Education
Description: Provides consultation, design, and maintenance of educational programs in Oral-Systemic Health, Inter-professional Continuing Education and Continuing Dental Education.
The expected outcomes of the successful candidate include:
- Develops content for electronic learning modules for Inter-professional Education in Oral Health for undergraduate and post graduate students and residents at the University of Manitoba. Reports directly to Dean, Faculty of Dentistry for this project and serves as Director of Education for the International Centre for Oral-Systemic Health.
- Works with Associate Dean Academic and Curriculum Committee in Medicine to incorporate oral health education into new curriculum.
- Presents scientific lectures and other programs to advance the science of oral-systemic health and the integration of oral healthcare providers into health care teams, within undergraduate and graduate education at the University of Manitoba.
- Surveys and creates opportunities for advancing education in oral-systemic inter-relationships such focus groups to pursue educational initiatives and external grant funding.
- Acts as a key "ambassador" for the International Centre for Oral-Systemic Health ("ICOSH"); to promote the vision and progress, and to enlist support for the Centre.
- Act as a key "connector" to encourage, nurture, and introduce academicians, researchers, students, public health officials, and company representatives to advance the vision for ICOSH.
- Works with Health Sciences Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Continuing Professional Development programs to further the development of templates for inter-professional continuing development programming, video recorded learning modules for lnter-professional Education (for undergraduate and graduate education) and Inter-professional Collaboration (for continuing professional development), in addition to improvements to this initial concept and new concepts for educational programming in this high priority area of education.
- Collaborates with University faculty members engaged in inter-professional education ("IPE"), to develop virtual patient programming, commensurate with IPE competencies, to offer capstone experiences for the individual video recorded learning modules for inter-professional Education (for undergraduate and graduate education) and Inter-professional Collaboration (for continuing professional development).
- Develops the concept for innovative conferences and workshops specifically designed to increase awareness of the significance of oral health, and inter-professional education and inter-professional collaborative practice for Health Sciences Faculties at the University of Manitoba, and the practicing communities of Canada through CPD.
- Develops a comprehensive portfolio and annual schedule of dental CPD programs including "traveling" programs for alumni in other Provinces, "destination" programs for the dental community in North America, and "online" programs for the international dental community.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean of CPD, ensures that the educational modules meet the standards for accreditation necessary to qualify for continuing education credits in Canada and the United States.
- Promotes collaboration between Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy and allied health Faculties in education and research in the area of oral-systemic health.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean of CPD, the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry and other University officials, seeks external funding to support the development of related educational resources.
- Serves on relevant planning and review committees. May be asked to sit as chair or co-chair.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience Required
The successful candidate will be an engaging and dynamic individual with experience in Dental and/or Medical Education, inter-professional education, or related discipline and have experience in the fields of educational development including the development of new curricula. Demonstrated background and experience in oral-systemic health is essential. The ability to communicate effectively and build collegial relationships with other team members is a fundamental requirement of this position.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Closing Date: January 3, 2013
Start Date: As soon as possible.
The University of Manitoba encourages applications from qualified women and men, including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian and permanent residents will be given priority. Applications including a CV and contact information for three references should be sent to Shaun Beach, Division of Continuing Professional Development, S203- 750 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0W2 or via email to email@example.com Applications will be accepted until January 3, 2013. Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act (Manitoba).