Sociology and Anthropology - Faculty Replacement Positions (2)
University of Ottawa
Date posted: 2013-04-05
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
Two Replacement Faculty Positions
The Faculty of Social Sciences comprises nine departments, schools and institutes, which offer undergraduate, Master's and doctoral programs in both English and French. With its 10,000 students, 260 full-time professors, and wide array of programs and research centres, the Faculty of Social Sciences plays a key role at the heart of the University of Ottawa. Its graduate students are supervised by excellent researchers and undertake cutting-edge research in the Faculty's Master's and Ph.D. programs.
The Department of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of Ottawa invites applications for two faculty replacement positions. The normal teaching load for these positions is five courses. The successful candidates may be required to teach in one or more of the following:
- In anthropology: cultural areas (i.e., Africa, Asia, Oceania), and anthropological theory.
- In sociology: qualitative methodology, political sociology, Canadian society, classical sociological theory and theorists.
- Teach mainly at the undergraduate level and according to the need, at the graduate levels
- Participate in academic and administrative activities
- Perform other activities as specified in the collective agreement
- Hold a Ph.D. in Sociology or Anthropology;
- Demonstrate excellence or the potential for excellence in teaching and research;
- The capacity to teach in both languages constitutes an asset.
The University of Ottawa is a bilingual institution, and all professors in the Faculty of Social Sciences must be actively bilingual (French and English). Active bilingualism at the time of hiring is an asset.
HIRING CONDITIONS AND SALARY
These are set by the current collective agreement. Positions are also subject to budget approval.
DURATION OF CONTRACT
This one year contract will beginning on July 1st, 2013 and end June 30th, 2014; renewable upon recommendation of the Dean.
Consideration of applications will begin on May 5th, 2013 and will continue until the position is successfully filled.
Applicants must submit their curriculum vitae and a letter indicating their teaching and research experience and interests. They must also indicate their French and English language abilities. Applicants must request that three referees send letters of recommendation under separate cover.
All information and letters are to be sent directly to:
Chair, Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ottawa
120 University Street, Room 10005, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, according to government policy, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Equity is a University of Ottawa policy; women, Aboriginal peoples, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.