Medicine - Manitoba Research Chair (Health System Innovation)
University of Manitoba
Date posted: 2013-08-17
Faculty of Medicine
Manitoba Research Chair in Health System Innovation, Assistant or Associate Professor
Located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the University of Manitoba offers students and faculty a vibrant learning community, exceptional facilities and the opportunity to explore ideas and challenges that face Canada and the world in the 21st century. We are Manitoba's largest and only research intensive university offering over 90 degree, diploma and certificate programs to more than 28,000 students from across the world. Research is a priority at the University of Manitoba and our investments in world class research facilities and rich resources to support research attest to this. Our faculty, students and staff are recognized globally as pioneers, visionaries and trailblazers. Position Numbers: 17044/ 17043.
The University of Manitoba, Faculty of Medicine and George and Fay Yee Centre for Healthcare Innovation invite applications for a Manitoba Research Chair in Health System Innovation, established by the Manitoba Health Research Council (MHRC) to: provide leadership for and champion research in the area of Health System Innovation and create momentum for change; facilitate or lead multidisciplinary approaches to study critical Health System Innovation issues and opportunities; stimulate research excellence in Health System Innovation; and, support the health system to improve services and value.
The award provides support up to $250,000 per year for five years, inclusive of benefits. The award is non-renewable.
The successful candidate should have an established record of funding and publication, a strong educational background in health services research and the ability to attract excellent graduate students. The successful candidate will have a quantitative and/or qualitative research program that:
- Demonstrates a link to the Government of Manitoba's plan to protect universal health care
- Demonstrates creativity and unique contribution and advancement to the knowledge base
- Demonstrates a vision for an innovative research program moving beyond their current research
- Utilize an integrated knowledge translation process through innovative approaches to engaging researchers, policy makers and patients throughout research process
The George and Fay Yee Centre for Healthcare Innovation is a partnership between the University of Manitoba and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. This is an exciting time to join the Centre for Healthcare Innovation as it undergoes rapid expansion to strengthen and support patient-oriented research through its key platforms in data science, knowledge synthesis, knowledge translation, health system performance, clinical trials, and project management. The Centre aims to be a catalyst for healthcare providers, healthcare decision makers and health researchers in Manitoba to generate and facilitate the use of knowledge to improve the health of Manitobans. Currently the Centre has approximately 20 full and part time faculty and staff and is poised to grow to 40 to 60 members.
The Centre for Healthcare Innovation will serve as a provincial hub of expertise to enhance patient-oriented research and working collaboratively with knowledge user partners, the Centre will address the research questions/knowledge needs of the knowledge users by producing solutions-focused answers and supporting the knowledge users to apply these solutions.
The Manitoba Research Chair in Health System Innovation will be an integral part of the Centre for Healthcare Innovation and be engaged with the health system, and all of its agencies, to provide leadership on the creation and use of research and evidence to improve health services and its value in Manitoba.
Responsibilities of the position will include, but are not restricted to:
- undertaking research in the area of Health System Innovation
- engaging with the health system to ensure the research is relevant and responsive to the environment, this includes establishing relationships with decision makers within the Government of Manitoba and in the health care agencies and connecting with service providers
- engaging with patients, community members and other stakeholders to ensure research questions are relevant and the answers provide value
- facilitating the development of key research questions, in consultation with the health services and policy community
- promoting communication and interaction among researchers in Manitoba whose research is related to Health System Innovation
- contributing to the training and mentoring of highly qualified personnel, specifically graduate students and postdoctoral trainees, interested in Health System Innovation research
- contributing to capacity building of individuals, organizations and government with respect to the use of research and evidence in providing better health services and value
- engaging in national and international networks on Health System Innovation
- establishing a local network and building the community of practice on Health System Innovation.
The George and Fay Yee Centre for Healthcare Innovation is located at the University of Manitoba's Bannatyne Campus and is in close proximity to the Faculties of Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, and School of Medical Rehabilitation. The successful applicant will hold a faculty appointment in a relevant department. More information about the Centre can be found at http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/units/chi/. Learn more about current research in the Faculty of Medicine at http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/research.
Winnipeg has a rich cultural environment, including symphony, opera, dance, theatre, professional sports and ethnic festivals. The region provides many opportunities for outdoor recreation in all seasons. Learn more about Winnipeg at http://www.winnipeg.ca/interhom/.
The University of Manitoba is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Applications are encouraged from qualified applicants including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, people with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Interested candidates should submit the following to the contact information below:
- a cover letter
- curriculum vitae
- a description of a 5 year research plan (maximum 3,000 words) appropriate to the goals of the Chair position, as outlined in this posting
Attention: Dr. Brian Postl, Dean Faculty of Medicine, Chair MHRC
c/o Office of the Associate Dean (Research)
Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba
Room A108 Chown Bldg.
753 McDermot Ave,
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2
Candidates must also arrange to have three letters of reference sent directly to the Office of the Associate Dean (Research). Reference letters may be sent electronically to the aforementioned email, or mailed using the postal address.
Position Start Date: November 1, 2013 or as soon as possible.
Closing Date: October 1, 2013 however, applications will be accepted until position is filled. Early application is advised.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy" (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitaes may be provided to participating members of the search process.