Simon Fraser University
Date posted: 2013-10-24
Simon Fraser University
Invites applications for the following position (s):
Competition Number: 427
Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
Educational Consultant, Grade 11
Teaching and Learning Centre - Educational Consultants
Position Number: 109197
Reporting to the Director of the Teaching and Learning Centre (TLC), the Educational Consultant (EC) functions as a discipline-specific specialist in a collaborative leadership role with faculty designates in one or two Faculties and independently as a designer, co-designer, or project manager on institutional level projects and teaching and education development initiatives for curriculum, program, course, and non-traditional learning activities.
Primary responsibilities include: (1) teaching and professional development of instructors, (2) consultation and support services for the development, implementation, and evaluation of learning experiences at the curriculum, program and course levels, and other learning experiences (e.g., customized planning for teaching development activities, co-op, service learning, non-credit), (3) stewardship of a community "network" and "knowledge base" around teaching and learning at SFU, (4) being responsive to community needs by developing or leading initiatives to meet those needs, and (5) developing and participating in strategic initiatives to support the continuous improvement of teaching and learning.
The Educational Consultant also actively contributes to the development of processes and evolution of the TLC and its staff by planning, facilitating and/or participating in professional development, mentorship and coaching.
Please note: This position will work primarily with the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Master's degree in Education or in a related field
- Five years directly related experience which includes two years experience at the post-secondary level as an instructor (including teaching credit courses) or an equivalent combination of experience.
- Excellent knowledge of current theories and practices in education particularly with respect to post-secondary teaching and learning (e.g. student diversity, large classes, small group, team-based learning, blended and online learning, etc.) and academic development.
- Excellent strategic planning, cost-benefit analysis and resourcing skills.
- Ability to create and provide programming (informal and formal stand-alone or embedded activities) for teaching development.
- Excellent analytical reasoning, problem solving, time management, planning, project management, supervisory, administrative, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to client service and professionalism in consulting with clients, identifying needs and facilitating solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and collaborate on cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams, multitasking, and establishing priorities and meeting deadlines with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise mature judgment, diplomacy and discretion and to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply policies and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, instructional skills, and business acumen Excellent knowledge and skill in the use and integration and conceptual application of learning technology, online eLearning management systems and associated educational management and social networking tools.
- Flexibility to travel between campuses and work beyond regular business hours.
SALARY RANGE: $71,026 to $84,817 per annum
START DATE: ASAP
A detailed resume and cover letter quoting Competition #427 must be received in our office by 4:30 pm on November 27, 2013, addressed to the attention of Linda Chan, Human Resources Advisor. Please follow the application instructions at: http://www.sfu.ca/hr/prospective_employees/HowToApply.html.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The University is committed to the principle of equity in employment
A more detailed job description may be obtained at http://www.sfu.ca/jobpostings