Health Sciences - Assistant Professor (Health Economics)
Simon Fraser University
Date posted: 2013-11-20
Simon Fraser University - The Faculty of Health Sciences at Simon Fraser University and the Fraser Health Authority are seeking a health economist for an Assistant Professor of Professional Practice position (5 year renewable contract) to support applied research and education programs under development with the two organizations. The candidate will be expected to develop an independent externally funded research program, teach health economics in the FHS graduate/undergraduate programs, and conduct operational research to drive healthcare decision-making and to guide health policy initiatives in the Fraser Health region along some of the following dimensions:
- Health economic analyses to support resource allocation decisions in FHA
- Identification and interpretation of health economics research evidence to support healthcare planning
- Identification and support for appropriate healthcare planning models
- Economic assessment of new and existing health technologies
- Analysis of economic impact of clinical practice variation
- Identification and interpretation of appropriate analyses of benefit, utility and effectiveness Support to the new Health technology Assessment Committee reporting to the Quality Performance Committee
- Interaction with the small network of health economists currently providing consultancy support to MoHS or in academic positions at UBC
- Contribution of health economics support to the work of the Institute of Healthcare Sustainability.
- Assess economic impact of performance improvement at a system and individual level
The successful candidate will have a doctoral degree in Health Economics or related areas by the start of appointment, with expertise in economic evaluations, cost-effectiveness analysis and/or decision analysis in health care. Experience working with Fraser Health Authority is also an asset.
The successful applicant will have the potential to be an effective teacher capable of inspiring and mentoring culturally diverse undergraduates and graduates. For this position a PhD will be required.
Simon Fraser University is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified women and men, including visible minorities, aboriginal people, and persons with disabilities. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. Positions are subject to final budgetary approval. Under the authority of the University Act, personal information that is required by the University for academic appointment competitions will be collected. For further details of this policy see: http://www.sfu.ca/vpacademic/Faculty_Openings/Collection_Notice.html
To apply for this position, candidates should submit a full curriculum vitae, a letter of application, and a descriptive statement of teaching background, research activities, and administrative and leadership experience, strengths, and approach. These materials, along with the names of at least three academic references should be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org, citing "Health Economist" in the subject line. Only those shortlisted candidates will be contacted. In addition, only referees of shortlisted candidates will be contacted and candidates will be notified if reference letters are requested.
The deadline for submission of applications is December 13, 2013.