Dean - Faculty of Environmental Design
Université de Montréal
Date posted: 2013-11-21
Faculty of Environmental Design
The Université de Montréal is seeking candidates for the position of Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Design.
The Faculty of Environmental Design is unique in terms of its multidisciplinarity. Within its four schools and five design fields, it brings together architecture, landscape architecture, industrial design, interior design and urban planning. It is a research hub that offers a variety of high-benefit fields of study in environmental design-related areas. It is internationally renowned for its research and has 22 research units, including three chairs, in addition to numerous collaborations with associated groups. The Faculty employs 60 professors, and has 1,100 undergraduate students as well as more than 500 graduate students.
The Université de Montréal, with its two affiliated institutions (École polytechnique and HEC Montréal), is the largest university in Québec and welcomes more than 60,000 students from all over the world, at least 16,000 of whom are graduate students. It is also home to more than 2,600 professors and researchers. The university confers 11,500 degrees each year, including 450 doctorates. The Université de Montréal is the largest comprehensive university in the French-speaking world, and its research revenues exceed $500 million.
For more information about the Faculty, please visit http://www.ame.umontreal.ca/. General information about the Université de Montréal is available at http://www.umontreal.ca.
The selected candidate must be an intellectual leader with a vision who will bring new ideas. He/she has a solid teaching and research background. If the candidate is from outside the University, his or her achievements must be such as to allow him or her to attain a permanent position at the rank of full professor in the Faculty. Excellent knowledge of French is required for the position.
In addition, candidates must demonstrate that they have the following skills:
- knowledge of the field of environmental design in Canada and internationally, knowledge of the Faculty;
- commitment to improving education as well as research and creation development;
- proven leadership skills (integrity, credibility, a consensus manager in touch with the community) as well as demonstrated abilities for planning and implementing strategic initiatives (decision making and conflict resolution);
- solid administrative experience in a university environment and a commitment to provide a stimulating and rewarding envi-ronment for all of the Faculty's students and staff;
- strong ability to establish working relationships within the University, and within professional environments and international organizations in the field of environmental design;
- an understanding of the inherent issues of development campaigns and a commitment to participate in and to support them.
The term is four (4) years (renewable) and begins on June 1st, 2014.
For any questions related to the job description or the selection process, please contact Mrs. Anne-Marie Boisvert, Vice-Rector, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (514) 343-7431.
Candidacy proposals must be sent before 8:00 a.m. on December 9, 2013, to Mr. Pierre Jalbert at email@example.com. They must include the candidate's name, resume, email address and telephone number.
In compliance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. The Université de Montréal upholds the principles of employment equity with regard to women,
visible minorities, aboriginals and people with disabilities.