Kinesiology and Recreation Management - Head Coach - Women's Basketball
University of Manitoba
Date posted: 2014-01-08
The University of Manitoba
Faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management
HEAD COACH - WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
Applications or nominations are invited for the position of Women's Basketball Head Coach. The appointment is a one-year term position at the rank of Instructor I in the Faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management, University of Manitoba, effective April 1, 2014 continuing until March 31, 2015. The appointment is renewable annually subject to favourable review.
Position Number 17812 (Instructor I, Head Coach),
Key roles and responsibilities of the Head Coach include, but are not limited to:
- All coaching duties consistent with the operation of a successful inter-university sport program including student athlete recruitment, team selection, personnel management, team and individual goal setting, creation of individual skill acquisition and refinement programs, tactical, technical and mental preparation, game preparation, athlete and program evaluation, scouting, scheduling, budget preparation and monitoring of student athlete academic success. Will provide input to the strength and conditioning specialist to develop appropriate strength and conditioning programs for the team.
- Staying current with knowledge, trends and practices that are necessary to build and maintain a competitive program.
- Attending Canada West and CIS Coaches' meetings and ensuring compliance with all league and CIS regulations including eligibility, doping controls and playing regulations.
- Maintaining a high profile in the sport locally, provincially and nationally acting as an ambassador representing the team and the University in public speaking appearances, clinics and camps to enhance the visibility and image of the University and the program.
- In conjunction with the University's Alumni office, developing and establishing a plan to engage and activate alumni as supporters and contributors to the program.
- Setting team revenue generation targets geared to the provision of program and scholarship enhancements.
- Service on departmental, faculty and/or University committees.
In addition to coaching responsibilities the Head Coach of the Bison Women's Basketball Team will have additional teaching or mentoring in the undergraduate programs as assigned.
Qualifications for the position include a Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) and a minimum of three years experience in coaching and administering elite level athletes and programs in Women's Basketball. A minimum NCCP 'Train to Compete' certification is required. The ability to work within the university environment and with the public at large is essential. The successful candidate must have superior organizational skills, an ability to recruit throughout Canada, a desire to build alumni support and a commitment to the total development of the student-athlete. Experience as an elite basketball athlete would be an asset.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applications for position number 17812 (please identify the position for which you are applying) must include a description of coaching and other interests, accompanied by a curriculum vitae and the names of three references. Applications should be sent to: Dr. Douglas Brown, Dean, Faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management, The University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 2N2. Applications will be considered beginning Friday February 14, 2014.
For further information, please contact either Dr. Douglas Brown ( douglas.brown@.umanitoba.ca ), Dean, or Mrs. Coleen Dufresne ( email@example.com ), Athletic Director, Tel: (204) 474-9509.
The University of Manitoba is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Application are encouraged from qualified applicants including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, people with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. https://fluidsurveys.com/s/kinesiology/headcoach/17812/
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (Manitoba)" Please note that curriculum vitas may be provided to participating members of the search process.
The University appreciates the interest of all applicants however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The University of Manitoba is a comprehensive institution of higher learning with over 30,000 students. It is located in Winnipeg, a vibrant and culturally diverse city of 650,000 residents. It is the largest city in the Province of Manitoba, and is located in the commercial, social, economic and government centre of the Province. Learn more about Winnipeg at http://www.winnipeg.ca/interhom. Further information about the University of Manitoba and the Faculty may be obtained from http://www.umanitoba.ca and http://www.umanitoba.ca/kinrec/