Educational Consultant - Teaching and Learning Centre (Competition # 033)
Simon Fraser University
Date posted: 2014-02-01
EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANT, GRADE 11
TEACHING & LEARNING CENTRE, EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANTS
POSITION NUMBER: 114599
Reporting to the Director, Teaching and Learning Centre (TLC), the Educational Consultant (EC) functions as a discipline-specific specialist in a collaborative leadership role with faculty designates in one or two Faculties and independently as a designer, co-designer, or project manager on institutional level projects and teaching and education development initiatives for curriculum, program, course, and non-traditional learning activities.
Primary responsibilities include: teaching and professional development of instructors; consultation and support services for the development, implementation, and evaluation of learning experiences at the curriculum, program and course levels, and other learning experiences (e.g., customized planning for teaching development activities, co-op, service learning, non-credit); stewardship of a community "network" and "knowledge base" around teaching and learning at SFU; being responsive to community needs by developing or leading initiatives to meet those needs; and developing and participating in strategic initiatives to support the continuous improvement of teaching and learning.
The Educational Consultant actively contributes to the development of processes and evolution of the TLC and its staff by planning, facilitating and/or participating in professional development, mentorship, and coaching.
Please Note: This position will work primarily with the Faculty of Environment. This position is subject to availability of funding and final approval by the SFU Board of Governors.
- Master's degree in Education, or in a related field, and five years of directly related experience including two years' experience at the post-secondary level as an instructor (including teaching credit courses), or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of current theories and practices in education, particularly with respect to post-secondary teaching and learning (e.g. student diversity, large classes, small group, team-based learning, blended, and online learning, etc.) and academic development.
- Excellent knowledge of and skill in providing consultation and creating plans and programming for teaching enhancement and curriculum initiatives.
- Excellent knowledge and skill in the use, integration, and conceptual application of learning technology, online eLearning management systems, and associated educational management and social networking tools.
- Excellent strategic planning, cost-benefit analysis, and resourcing skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and instructional skills.
- Excellent analytical reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Excellent project management, planning, administrative, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain excellent client service and professionalism when consulting with clients; identifying needs; and facilitating solutions.
- Ability to effectively lead and collaborate on cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to coordinate and oversee the work of multiple contributors on projects to ensure project goals are met.
- Ability to exercise mature judgment, diplomacy, discretion, business acumen, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to understand and apply policies and procedures.
- Ability to arrange transportation to various campuses and off-campus locations.
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access).
SALARY RANGE: $71,026 to $84,817 per annum
START DATE: April 1, 2014
A detailed resume and cover letter quoting Competition #033 must be received in our office by 4:30 pm on February 26, 2014, addressed to the attention of Linda Chan, Human Resources Advisor. Please follow the application instructions at: http://www.sfu.ca/hr/prospective_employees/HowToApply.html.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The University is committed to the principle of equity in employment
A more detailed job description may be obtained at http://www.sfu.ca/jobpostings