Chair and Chief - Anaesthesia
McGill University - McGill University Health Centre (MUHC)
Date posted: 2014-07-23
The Faculty of Medicine of McGill University and the McGill University Health Center (MUHC) invite applications for the position of
CHAIR OF THE MCGILL UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT OF ANAESTHESIA AND ANAESTHETIST-IN-CHIEF OF THE MCGILL UNIVERSITY HEALTH CENTER (MUHC)
The Faculty of Medicine of McGill University and the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) are conducting a search for an internationally respected academic physician to lead the clinical, educational and research activities of the Department of Anaesthesia. The Department of Anaesthesia is one of the most research intensive anaesthesia departments across Canada and is composed of approximately 130 clinicians and scientists working on the McGill campus, at the Jewish General Hospital, the MUHC, and St. Mary's Hospital and their research institutes.
The successful applicant will direct the academic activities of McGill's Department of Anaesthesia, promoting excellence in clinical innovation, research, and teaching at all of its sites. In addition, the applicant will ensure high-quality clinical services at the MUHC. The initial appointment to the Chair position is for a five-year term, with the possibility of a tenure stream professorial position, depending on experience. The successful candidate is expected to:
- be an academic physician at the associate or full professor level;
- have an understanding of both clinical and research environments;
- be able to provide a vision for the Department of Anaesthesia and be an energetic and influential leader with demonstrated abilities in implementation of change;
- have a major interest in undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate education;
- provide leadership in the recruitment, mentoring and development of faculty to their full potential;
- encourage collaborative clinical and academic work between the different sites of the Department and between different departments of the University and hospitals;
- have experience administering an academic medical unit or some other form of leadership in academic medicine
- be licensed or eligible for licensure in the province of Québec;
Knowledge of the Quebec health care system and French language skills, though not essential, will be considered an asset.
McGill University is committed to diversity and equity in employment. It welcomes applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Applicants who meet the above-mentioned criteria are invited to apply by submitting a detailed curriculum vitae and a brief statement of administrative, clinical, teaching and research experience by e-mail by September 30, 2014 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mara Ludwig MD.
Chair, McGill Department of Anaesthesia Chair & MUHC Chief Search Committee